Sunday, March 31, 2013

Assistive Technology Blog


          I learned from the assistive technology assignment that students with disabilities were also provided a way to use technology that would increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities. I learn that there are many way that students who have hearing, visually, and who are mobility impaired could be adapted while using a computer. For example, you could change the display to a high contrast extra large scheme, magnifier, toggle keys, alert flashes, and so on.
            I did not encounter any problems while navigating through this activity. It was fairly easy as well as interesting while completing it. The instructor provided well written instructions to follow in order to complete the assignment.    
            I could integrate this knowledge if I were to have a student who had some type of disability. I would be well aware of some options that I could perform to accommodate my student(s). For example, I could display an on screen keyboard to assist a student who has a physical impairment and uses a pointer to access the computer.
            Promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility would be the NETS-T standard that would best fit this assignment. This standard addresses the diverse needs of all learners by using a learner centered strategy and providing equitable access to appropriate digital tools and resources. This assignment allows student with disabilities to also have a opportunity to participate and use digital tools as well to learn. This opportunity will allow the students to interact socially with their peers and not feel left out of the activity.

To see the assistive technology powerpoint I created, click here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment